Sticky Header

Landing Nav


Work Permits

Public Act 90 of 1978, the Youth Employment Standards Act (YESA), as amended, defines a minor as someone who is less than 18 years of age, including but not limited to employees, volunteers, independent contractors and performing artists.

Minors under 18 years of age must obtain a work permit or a written agreement or contract entered into between the employer and the governing school district, public school academy, or nonpublic school before starting work.  Work permits can be obtained from the state of Michigan school issuing officer (the chief administrator of a school district, intermediate school district, etc.) the minor attends or the school district where the minor will be employed. If the minor changes jobs, a new work permit is required for the new employer.  A work permit may be revoked for poor academic performance. A work permit is required even if the minor is home/cyber/virtual/online schooled, does not attend school, or out-of-state resident.


Minors under the age of 18 are required to have a work permit prior to starting work.

Minors under the age of 18 cannot be employed or permitted to work, with or without pay, or volunteer until the person, company, business, firm or corporation proposing to employ the minor obtains and keeps on file at the minor's place of employment (work location) a current and valid age appropriate work permit, which has been issued by a state of Michigan issuing officer of the school district, intermediate school district, public school academy or nonpublic school prior to starting work.

CA-6 Work Permit for minor under 16 years of age

CA-7 Work Permit for minor 16 to 17 years of age  

Students must appear in person at one of the RCS high school counseling offices, with proof of birthdate (if not an RCS student) and with Sections I and II completely filled out.  Proof of birthdate could be a driver's license, birth certificate, or passport.