MHSAA ADJUSTS REQUIREMENTS FOR ATHLETICS PRE-PARTICIPATION PHYSICALS FOR 2020-21
The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) has adjusted its standard requirement for school athletics pre-participation physicals for 2020-21 in light of Covid-19. Rochester Community Schools (RCS) also has canceled the physical nights usually held in mid-June at the high schools.
RCS student-athletes who had a sports physical done for 2019-20 (dated on or after April 15, 2019) that is on file with their building athletic office do not need a new physical exam for 2020-21. Instead, they must complete the MHSAA’s Health Questionnaire form for 2020-21 (see button, above left) to become eligible to practice. Once RCS students submit the new Health Questionnaire to their coach at tryouts, or to their building athletic director or school office before tryouts, it will serve as their valid physical exam for the entire 2020-21 school year.
If students answer “yes” to any of the 14 questions listed on the Health Questionnaire, or if they don’t have a physical on file for 2019-20, they will need a new physical exam for 2020-21 and should use the Standard MHSAA Physical Form (see button, above right).
Physicals that were on file for eighth graders at the RCS middle schools will be forwarded to the athletic director at the corresponding high school. See below for more information about Frequently Asked Questions.
- My student has a 2019-20 physical on file at their RCS school because they participated in a sport during the 2019-20 school year. Does my student need a new physical exam for 2020-21?
- My student has a 2019-20 physical on file at their school, but we answered “yes” to one of the 14 questions listed on the 2020-21 MHSAA Health Questionnaire. Does my student need a new physical exam for 2020-21?
- Rochester Community Schools didn't hold its annual physical exams in June this year. Where am I supposed to get my student-athlete’s physical done?
- My student is new and/or is transferring in to RCS. Will a valid 2019-20 physical exam from another state, province, or school district be acceptable for participation, along with a completed Health Questionnaire for 2020-21?
- My student was an eighth grader at an RCS middle school and had a physical on file there for 2019-20. What do we need to do for him/her to participate in high school athletics for 2020-21??