Rochester Community Schools Mission Statement
To provide a quality education in a caring atmosphere for students to attain the necessary skills and knowledge to become lifelong learners and contribute to a diverse, interdependent and changing world.
District Equity Statement
Rochester Community Schools is committed to providing an equitable education that prepares all students for an interdependent, evolving world. We believe in a unified culture of belonging for all. We recognize that systemic inequities exist that create educational equity gaps among various identity groups, specifically those who have been marginalized. Through a multifaceted approach of inclusion, we commit to creating opportunities and access, protecting the well-being of all, eliminating barriers, and educating within a safe environment where all individuals are valued, respected, included, welcomed, and acknowledged.
Focus on the Future, Strategic Planning 2025
A History of Strategic Excellence
In the 1980s, then Superintendent Dr. John Schultz launched the first long-range strategic plan, which consisted of a vision, mission, beliefs and several key result areas. District stakeholders were held accountable for objectives, strategies and action plans. The strategic plan evolved into Goals 2000 and Goals 2010, undergoing revision every few years.
In April 2013, Dr. Robert Shaner was appointed superintendent. Dr. Shaner initiated a new strategic planning initiative in October 2013. With thorough research and community input, a plan emerged. Pride in Excellence: Strategic Planning 2020 was adopted to ensure that all RCS students would be focused on the goal of becoming “college ready, career ready, and life ready.”
The strategic planning team produced a framework that said: “Rochester Community Schools will become a world-class educational system by guaranteeing a viable, high-quality curriculum for all students.” This framework had three goal areas: Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment; Global Awareness; and Technology and Infrastructure.
In February 2020, we began preparing for 2025 by having a community conversation about our Focus on the Future. Community members are invited to join us on our journey as we think beyond traditional teaching and learning opportunities and shape the future.
At Rochester Community Schools, we believe:
It is vital to instill a sense of pride and excellence for all.
All students can learn at high levels.
It is our role to make a profound impact on students’ lives.
All decisions and actions should be directly related to our mission.
Clear learning objectives, effective instructional strategies, and quality assessment lead to high student achievement and growth.
A positive mindset that embraces diversity creates a strong culture and climate.
Accountability, communication, transparency and trust throughout the system are vital components of a healthy organization.
Focused professional development and meaningful collaboration for all staff leads to positive student growth.
All members of the school community will experience an environment where they are safe, valued, and respected.
Family, school, business and community partnerships are integral for student success.
Students must be able to flourish in a global environment.
All stakeholders are responsible for high achievement and continuous improvement.
A Brief History of Rochester Community Schools
1889 Original school building on Fourth and Wilcox was built for $8,000 and housed all grade levels.
1916 First dedicated high-school building built at Fourth and Wilcox.
1920 Addition to the high school included the first gymnasium.
1921 Woodward Elementary School was built. This building was closed in 1983 and served as the center for the Older Persons Commission for many years. The school was demolished in the early 2000s and the site was developed for residential use.
1927 Baldwin Elementary School was built.
1928 The last addition to the building on Fourth and Wilcox was named the Harrison School after a beloved custodian. It included a cafeteria and 16 classrooms. Avon School was constructed (now part of the Dr. John M. Schultz Educational Campus) costing $32,000 for the two-story, four-room building.
1929 Hamlin Elementary School was built as a two-room school building.
1931 First high-school graduating class to have caps and gowns. The Depression was a difficult time for families. Local dairies and grocers began providing milk and cookies for 50 undernourished children in grades 1-6. Classes for grades 1-5 were reduced to half-days, and no meals were served in the cafeteria to reduce costs. Teachers opted for a salary cut instead of eliminating positions. After World War II, baby boomers started attending school in massive numbers; there was an immediate need for additional educational space.
1954 North Hill Elementary School was constructed on land donated by Howard McGregor Jr.
1955 The Avon School District No. 5 changed its name to the Rochester Community School District.
1956 Rochester High School was built at University and Livernois.
1957 Meadow Brook Elementary School was built.
1960 McGregor Elementary School was built on land donated by Howard McGregor Jr.
1961 The junior high, housed at the current Administration Center, became known as Central Junior High.
1963 West Junior High School was built on Old Perch Road.
1967 Long Meadow Elementary School was built.
1970 Adams High School first opened its doors to students.
1973 University Hills Elementary was built off Avon Road.
1975 Reuther Junior High School and Van Hoosen Junior High School were built to accommodate growing enrollment.
1980 Brewster Elementary School opened. Woodward Elementary closed.
1982 Rochester High School celebrated its 100-year anniversary.
1983 Dr. John M. Schultz was appointed superintendent.
1987 Rochester Community Schools changed from a junior-high to middle-school model.
1988 Hugger Elementary School was built on Sheldon Road.
1989 Musson Elementary School opened on Dutton Road.
1990 Hart Middle School first opened its doors to students.
1993 Hampton Elementary School was built. A new Brooklands Elementary School was built behind the original school. Hamlin Elementary School underwent renovations. The old Brooklands School then housed the Adult Education Program.
1994 Proposal A, approved by voters, raised the state sales tax and changed school funding from local property taxes to a per-pupil allocation distributed by the State of Michigan.
1997 Voters approved a high-school bond issue to renovate Rochester and Adams High Schools and build a third high school.
2000 The bond was approved by voters for $107 million to build a 13th elementary school and renovate West Middle School and several elementary schools. School attendance boundaries were redrawn. Stoney Creek High School was completed. Adams High School students were housed at Stoney Creek during renovations at AHS.
2001 Adams High School renovations were completed. Rochester High students were housed at Stoney Creek while the building was renovated.
2002 Delta Kelly Elementary was built. West Middle School, McGregor and Long Meadow Elementary Schools were renovated.
2003 Stoney Creek High School opened as the third high school. Delta Kelly Elementary School opened as the 13th elementary. Limited renovations were scheduled for Brewster, Hugger, Musson, and University Hills Elementary Schools, plus full renovation and expansion of Meadow Brook and North Hill Elementary Schools. North Hill students were housed at Stoney Creek High School during renovations.
2004 Voters approved a bond for $64.9 million for technology upgrades; to renovate and expand ACE (Alternative Center for Education), Reuther and Van Hoosen Middle Schools; install artificial turf fields at the three high schools; and construct a new Facilities Operation Center on Hamlin.
2005 Dr. John M. Schultz retired after 22 years as superintendent. Artificial turf fields were installed at the three high-school stadiums. Renovations began at ACE, Reuther and Van Hoosen. Construction for the new Facility Operations Center began on Hamlin Road.
2006 Mr. David Pruneau was appointed as superintendent. ACE was rededicated.
2007 Renovation of Reuther and Van Hoosen Middle Schools was completed. New roofing installed over sections of Rochester High School.
2011 Mr. Fred Clarke was appointed as superintendent.
2012 Dr. Tresa Zumsteg was appointed as interim superintendent.
2013 Dr. Robert Shaner was appointed as superintendent.
2015 Voters overwhelmingly approved a $185-million bond to enhance student safety and school security, and to update schools, facilities, equipment, and technology.
2016 School entrances were renovated to include secure vestibules. Construction began at Hugger, Musson, and Rochester High. Demolition of the old Brooklands Elementary School was completed.
2017 Renovations began at Baldwin, Hamlin, and West. Adams High School and ACE began renovations. The district introduced a new logo to better reflect the community that it serves.
2018 Renovations started at Brooklands, Hampton, Long Meadow and McGregor. The original ACE building expanded by 30,000 square feet to provide space for ACE, the adult Special Education program, and the Rochester Adult Center for Education. The building reopened as the Dr. John M. Schultz Educational Campus. Renovations began at Hart Middle and North Hill Elementary Schools. The district purchased and renovated a former parochial school building and opened the RCS Caring Steps Children’s Center.
2019 For the first time in district history, voters passed a building and site sinking fund proposal for $7.8 million per year for 10 years to repair, replace, and buy new facility and infrastructure items, enhance security, and upgrade technology. Delta Kelly, Meadow Brook and the Transportation Center were renovated. Renovations began at Stoney Creek High, Brewster and University Hills Elementary Schools, Renovations began at Van Hoosen and Reuther Middle Schools in 2020.
2020 The district launched a one-to-one technology initiative to provide a device to every RCS student for equitable access to learning and resources.