Transportation Safety Tips, Rules & Reminders
ROCHESTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
DURHAM SCHOOL SERVICES
TRANSPORTATION SAFETY RULES, TIPS AND REMINDERS
At Rochester Community Schools, safety is always paramount. The following safety tips are available to help ensure all students, no matter their mode of transportation, can travel to and from school without incident.
The following items may NOT be carried on board the bus:
- Pets or other animals · Glass containers, aerosol cans, or fragile items.
- Large band or orchestra instruments.
- Large athletic items, including lacrosse sticks and hockey sticks.
- Balloons of any kind. Some students may have allergies!
- Items that may become projectiles.
- Use the buddy system or stay with a group when waiting at the bus stop or walking to and from school. It’s safer and more fun to be with friends.
- Walk in well-lit areas and never take shortcuts.
- Say NO! if someone you don’t know offers you a ride. If they continue to bother you, turn and run in the opposite direction.
- Always tell your parents or trusted adult if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up.
- Trust your instincts. If someone makes you feel scared or uncomfortable, get away as fast as you can and tell a trusted adult.
- If a stranger tries to follow you on foot or tries to grab you, run away, scream and make lots of noise. The last thing a dangerous stranger wants is a lot of attention.
Never speak to strangers or accept a ride from anyone you don’t know, even if the stranger tells you it’s an emergency.
- Never get close to a strange car.
- Never give your name or address to a stranger.
Bus Transportation Students
- When approaching, boarding or departing the bus, ONLY CROSS IN FRONT OF THE BUS . Never cross behind the bus!
- Walk to your seat. Sit facing forward. Keep your feet on the floor, or in front of you.
- Remain seated at all times.
- RCS drivers may, as needed, assign seats due to inappropriate student conduct or other reasons.
- Share your seat willingly. Depending on the age of the students, there may be room for up to three students per seat.
- Keep the aisle clear. Place all items on your lap or safely in front of you.
- Food and beverages may not be consumed on board the bus.
- Please note that bus times may be affected by traffic and weather conditions. Our drivers will make every effort to arrive safely at all bus stops at the assigned times. All bus stop times are estimated and are subject to change or adjustment as needed.
- Every effort will be made to notify you of bus delays greater than 10 minutes. If a bus is delayed, it is recommended that students wait a reasonable amount of time (20 minutes) at the bus stop prior to returning home.
- Occasionally, a bus may be running a few minutes ahead of schedule. All students should be ready to board the bus 10 minutes prior to their scheduled pick-up time.
- Students are to board the bus at their assigned stops unless prior arrangements have been made.
- If you are dropping off or picking up your child at the bus stop, please park on the same side of the street as the bus without blocking the stop location or interfering with the safe arrival or departure of the bus.
- If you are dropping your child off at their bus stop, please ensure that your child is outside of the vehicle and waiting to board the bus prior to arrival.
- Do not let your child exit your vehicle in the middle of a street or intersection.
- Once the bus has departed the stop location, do not attempt to chase or catch up to the bus for any reason.
- Please be mindful and considerate of other drivers and pedestrians that may be present in the area of the bus stop.
- If your child or children are the only student(s) assigned to the bus stop and will not be riding that day, please notify the Transportation Center at (248) 726-5925 as soon as possible prior to the scheduled pickup time. If your child fails to ride for three consecutive days without proper notification, the bus will not return to the stop until the Transportation Center has been contacted, requesting reinstatement.
- Know the time and location of your child’s scheduled pickup and drop off.
- Keep all animals away from loading and unloading areas.
- Please ensure your child is aware of, and follows, all school bus Code of Conduct rules.
- For kindergarten students: Please make arrangements for a designated person to be present at drop-off time.
For parents who drive their children to school
- Please drive with extreme care and caution on and around school grounds.
- Do not enter designated bus loops at any school building while buses and/or students are present.
- There are designated parent pick-up loops at each school. Please familiarize yourself with the locations. Please feel free to call the Transportation Office with any transportation questions or concerns. We can be reached at (248) 726-5925. Together, we can make this a transportation-safe school year. We sincerely thank you for your cooperation and support!