Flipgrid invites learners to creatively share their voices and ideas using video tools and effects.
What is a Flipgrid?
Flipgrid is a simple, free, and accessible video discussion experience for learners in grades TK to 12. Videos are at the core of the Flipgrid experience. Educators create discussion topics and learners respond by creating sharable videos, often replying to both the educator and each other.
What do learners do in Flipgrid?
Learners think through a question, assignment prompt, or other set of directions to create short video responses. This tool is particularly useful for learners who are still emerging readers and writers, because it allows them to share their thinking without submitting a written response. Flipgrid also benefits learners who would prefer to respond on varying schedules, but are still looking for the interpersonal experience of a face-to-face discussion. Options for learners to respond to one another using video and/or written feedback make it ideal for making connections and sharing feedback with members of the learning community.
Step 1: Locate the join information from your educator
Your educator has given you one of these ways to join the right discussion:
a Join Code (e.g. FGrid3567, a591dc5d) or a QR code
a join link
Flipgrid works on most web browsers and mobile devices. We recommend Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome for the best web experience.
Step 2: Join the discussion
Get to your educator's discussion by using the link or code provided by your educator in step 1.
If you were given a join link, click on that link.
If you were given a Join Code, go to your web browser and enter https://flipgrid.com. You’ll see an area to enter a Join Code. Type the Join Code and press enter on your keyboard. On a mobile app, enter the code.
If you were given a QR code, scan the QR code with your device camera or Flipgrid mobile app.
You’ll see a prompt to log in, enter a student username, or a password. If your Student Username or password are not working, be sure to double-check the case and space sensitivity.
Tip – If you’re prompted to log in, choose Google since RCS uses Google Classroom, Docs, and Drive.
Step 3: Record and Submit
Once you’ve joined, you’ll see your educator’s Topic, or discussion prompt. Follow the instructions and when you’re ready to record, click the red Record a Response button or the Flipgrid logo for the camera to start.
When you're in the Flipgrid camera, you can record a video in these 4 easy steps:
Tap to record - Tap the record button on the bottom to start. Add fun stickers, filters, text, and more. Tap the arrow on the bottom right to advance.
Review your video - Trim, split, rearrange, or add more. Tap the arrow in the bottom right to advance.
Take a selfie - The selfie will be the cover image for your video. Tap the arrow in the bottom right to advance.
Submit your video - Edit your name, add a title, or attach a link. Then submit!
- Upload a video clip - Add a video clip from your device to your Flipgrid recording.
- Mirror video - Flip the camera reflection. This is helpful for showing books and text that appear backward
- Audio Off - Turn off the microphone to remove audio from the recording.
- Record your screen - Share your screen (available on Edge and Chrome). Present your Microsoft Powerpoint, Google Slides, a news article, and more!
- View Topic - Participants can select the book icon to view the Topic details in the camera. This is helpful for referring to what the Topic discussion includes.
- Sticky Note - Participants can type notes to view when recording. These notes are not included in the submitted video. Educators also have the option to turn this setting off in the Topic settings.
- Filters - Apply a fun filter to the camera. Filters include rainbow, pixel, black and white, and more filter to express a mood.
- Frames - Apply a frame around the camera. Frames allow you to become a newscaster to a fish underwater!
- Emoji - Add one or multiple emojis to the recording. Browse the library or search for a specific emoji.
- Text - Add text to your recording with various fonts to express yourself.
- Draw - Choose the color, size of the pen, and ink over the recording.
- Board - Apply a whiteboard, chalkboard, graph paper, and more to showcase your ideas. Split the screen to show the camera while you ink on the board!
- Upload an image - Add a custom image from your device to the camera.
- Resize emojis, text, ink, and images by focusing on effect and then use on-screen controls, mouse or touch to adjust.
Information sourced from: https://help.flipgrid.com/hc/en-us