Home : Schools : Stoney Creek Schoolhouse
Text size: A+ | A | A-
Friday, 10/31/2014

 

The Story of the Stoney Creek One Room Schoolhouse

The School Act of 1829 created the Stoney Creek School District. The Stoney Creek one room school house was opened in 1848, five years after the first building was destroyed by fire. Like one-room schoolhouses across the country, the building originally housed children of varying ages and grades, elementary through high school. This changed in 1931, when high school students enrolled at nearby Rochester High School.

 

The northern wing was added in 1952 to accommodate enrollment growth as families moved into the area to work for Dr. Sarah Van Hoosen Jones on the widely known Van Hoosen Dairy Farm.  Dr. Van Hoosen Jones asked Howard McGregor to pay his property taxes for Twist Drill at the corner of Tienken and Rochester Roads in advance in order to pay for the addition. Shortly after that, the residents of the Stoney Creek Village voted to join Rochester Community Schools (the local school district) and the doors of the one room schoolhouse were closed soon thereafter.

 

The school was re-opened in 1976 largely due to the efforts of Dr. Max Mallon, who at the time was a member of the Rochester Community Schools Board of Education. Dr. Mallon spent six years on the school preservation project, which was funded with private donations from local area service organizations and individuals. Rochester vocational students did most of the work and the furniture, pictures and other historical pieces were donated by the school district, organizations and citizens. In 1982, the schoolhouse was once again housing elementary students who came to spend a week as part of a living history project.

 

A cooperative effort between Rochester Community Schools and the Rochester Hills Museum at  Van Hoosen Farm has created an experience that benefits students and visitors alike. The schoolhouse houses numerous museum functions and programs which serve to interpret local history, preserving the past in the hearts of young and old.