Adams High School Then & Now
ADAMS HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
HIGHLIGHTS . . .
- 1966 - Property at the corner of Adams and Tienken Roads was purchased to be the site of the Adams High School Building.
- 1967 – Bonds were sold to finance the cost of building the new high school.
- 1968 – Architectural plans were developed by O’Dell, Hewlett, and Luckenbach. Construction of the building began.
- 1969 – Adams High School students were housed in the Rochester High School building from 12:30-5:20PM while RHS students attended in the morning. Adams and RHS shared the graduation ceremony.
- 1970 – Adams High School opened its doors to 1100 students.
- 1972 – Due to continued student enrollment, additional classrooms were built.
- 1974 – A swimming pool complex was added to the Physical Education area.
- 1986 – The outdoor mall areas were renovated to increase classroom space. The North Mall and an upper and lower hallway of classrooms were added to the back of the school.
- 1987 – The physical education area was expanded to include an auxiliary gym, additional classrooms, and offices. Adams Stadium was built and the first home games were played under lights.
- 1988 – Bleachers in the stadium were built. (Concession stand and press box were opened in 1993.)
- 1988-89 and 1992-93 – National Exemplary School Award awarded by the U.S. Department of Education.
- 1992 – Adams signed on to the Information Highway via Internet. Through global education, the world has become our classroom.
- 2000 – Adams High School students move to Stoney Creek High School for the school year while extensive renovations and expansions take place. An auditorium is added to the facility.
- 2001 – Adams High School students return to a renovated school.
- 2002 – Adams opened its Performing Arts Center. The state-of-the-art auditorium seats 546. Beautiful quilts have been designed and depicting our performing arts history and are displayed in the performing arts entrance.
- 2005 – With the passage of the 2004 Bond, artificial turf was installed on the football playing field. The first official home football game was played on the new turf on August 26 with a win over league opponent, Clarkston High School.
- 2007 – Adams High School held a 20th Reunion on October 13, 2007.